Friday, June 13, 2008

Books & Composting

I figure it's time to get my blog caught up on my reading. In the last couple of weeks I've read three books on composting. Why so much about composting? I'm not sure really except that I find it to be really interesting. Basically you throw a bunch of what most people would call "waste" into a bin of sorts, wait a while, then you have some excellent nutrient rich soil! Isn't that the coolest thing? Well I think it is. I'll never forget the composting system my Grandpa Lavender had in his backyard. He passed away when I was 12 so I never got to the point of fully appreciating his garden and yard and compost but I think I'm starting to now and with the way things are going why not try to reduce and reuse more of our recyclable "waste".

The first book I read was called "Compost: The Natural Way To Make Food For Your Garden".
After completing "Compost" I found a link in the back to a site that looked interesting to me. It was a link to "The Humanure Handbook". I thought, humanure . . . ? you mean somebody has written about composting their poop? That sounds cool. So I promptly went to the site and downloaded the PDF for free of the entire book. Reading a book on the computer wasn't very appealing to me but the book was so interesting to me I couldn't stop. I think the other guys in the band were getting a little tired of my poopy talk. All I was thinking and talking about was compost. Anyway, it's a great read about compost even if you don't plan on composting your own Humanure. The last one I finished was "The Rodale Book Of Composting". Lots of details in this one. A good one to have as reference. Definitely not as fun of a read as the Humanure Handbook.

Then outside of compost I just finished Anne Rice's "Christ The Lord - The Road To Cana". It's the successor of Christ The Lord - Out Of Egypt which I read earlier. A great story of what Christ's life may have been like before His ministry got started.

More books coming. I'm in a reading mood these days!

GL

5 comments:

Krista 6/17/2008 1:16 PM  

Weird - I have that Rodale book too. Maybe I should read it?

Anonymous,  6/17/2008 1:20 PM  

Okay, the thought of "Humanure" is a bit much for me!

We haven't tried composting, but we try to get a load of compost from our city landfill every year when they offer it.

Our landfill is right beside our water treatment plant, so I guess I don't know what's in our compost.....!

Hello 6/17/2008 10:57 PM  

I may spend the rest of my life trying to forget I ever saw the word humanure. Thanks.

Ann-Marie MacKay 6/19/2008 1:56 PM  

I am also obsessed with composting lately--we have worms for vermicomposting and the kids love to help me feed them.

:)

kathryn 6/19/2008 9:00 PM  

i'm a composter. . but the human poo composting, too Ed Begley Jr. for me. just way too gross!

Blog Archive

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP