Thursday, July 20, 2006

Organic Food

It's true, Blogger. I have not been here for many days and I'm sorry. I really do miss you too but there are times in one's life where new friends take up more time than old ones and I'm afraid you have become an old friend. I hope that we can hang out more in the future like we used to. But for now I need to spend more time with some of my other friends like myspace and downhere website and family and trying to make a living in music. They just demand more of my time right now. But for today, let's spend a little time together.

My wife and son gave me a subscription to Runner's World Magazine for Father's Day and I really enjoy it. There was a really helpful article in this months issue about organic food that I wanted to share part of.

I have always wondered about what the real big deal is with organic food. I know organic farming is supposed to be better for the Earth and organic food is supposed to be better for my body. I guess that should be enough to convince me. The hard part is the price. OUCH! So Runner's World created a list of organic foods that are worth spending money on and a list that you don't need to worry about quite so much. Enjoy!

"Spend Wisely
These 12 fruits and vegetables contain the highest levels of pesticides; buy organic to reduce your exposure.

Apples
Bell Peppers
Celery
Cherries
Imported Grapes
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Potatoes
Raspberries
Spinach
Strawberries

Also buy organic meats, poultry, eggs and dairy to limit your exposure to antibiotics and growth hormones.

Don't Worry (As Much)
The pesticide levels of these 12 fruits and vegetables are low to undetectable; okay to buy conventional.

Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Kiwi
Mangoes
Onions
Papaya
Pineapples
Sweet Corn
Sweet peas


Choose organic breads, pastas, cereals and other processed foods when cost and availability allow it."

4 comments:

Krista 7/21/2006 1:54 PM  

Ooh - I like this this! It's a post that one might expect to find on my blog!

I'm all for going organic. Cost isn't as much the issue for me, as is availability. It is true that supermarkets carry loads more organic foods these days, but I often give up in the produce section because I just can't find an organic equivalent for all of the items I'd like to purchase. I suppose I could adjust my eating habits...

I think I may print out this list and keep a copy on my fridge! Very useful info.

Krista 7/21/2006 1:57 PM  

This this...I'm a dork dork.

:)

kathryn 7/21/2006 9:44 PM  

yeah, when i read your title i thought: "How'd Krista's post get on here?!!" LOL!

There's an organic farm on Blair Road, now selling to the public. . You might want to check it out. . it's called RARE. I'm gonna stop the next time I drive by. I saw a feature on The Food Network about this organic restaurant, the only certified organic restaurant in the States. .I think it was called "Nora". (the food looked amazing!) They talked about people having this misconception which tied organic food to vegetarianism and veganism - and i'm sure it is tied, but also it isn't. This show also featured a comparison taste test done in an organic food buyer's kitchen. . organic eggs versus 'regular' eggs, organic yogurt vs regular, etc. The tasters said there was a big difference between the two and that the organic tasted a lot better. Made me want to try my own tests!

kathryn 7/22/2006 10:22 PM  

there's an organic bakery in downtown Paris. . passed it on our way to a wedding in Simcoe today.

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP