Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Living Green On The Road

Road life isn't exactly conducive to reducing, reusing or recycling. My northern friends would be surprised at the lack of recycling options there are down south. We drink a lot of water when we are on the road which means a ton of water bottles that usually just get thrown in the garbage. Plus since we are eating out a lot we often have packaging for our food or Styrofoam plates that all just get thrown out. This has been nagging at me. There's gotta be a better way to be a better steward of what we have. So for starters I'm trying this out.

Instead of water bottles or Styrofoam cups I'm going to try and just refill this aluminum Sigg bottle with tap water wherever I'm at. It's been fun to watch people's reaction when I ask for tap water. It's almost like they can't believe someone would actually drink it. Well I'll do it. I'll give it a shot.

Next will be bringing out my own dishes so I don't use Styrofoam. I heard that Canadian rocker Sam Roberts or his wife does that. We'll see . . .

11 comments:

Sherri Lavender 6/16/2009 3:58 PM  

I'm so proud of you! And can't wait to help you pick out your portable dishes! :o)

kathryn 6/16/2009 5:11 PM  

yay, Glenn! I wouldn't be able to feel okay about throwing out recyclables either. We do have really great recycling services in Canada!!

Anonymous,  6/16/2009 11:06 PM  

Free tap water anytime your passing through Ohio!!! Just stop by.

Anonymous,  6/17/2009 1:15 PM  

I know lots of ppl up here in the 'north' who just bring tupperware around with them. Tupperware is pretty much leakproof if you get the good stuff and so, not only do you have an eating vessel, you also have a great storage device!
** I dont sell tupperware btw, I just trust the product!

Holly 6/18/2009 1:12 AM  

Good for you! Just don't drink the tap water in Jacksonville, Florida or you'll regret it!!! It's the worst water I've ever tasted in my life!

Denise 6/19/2009 1:17 PM  

My first thought at the word 'styrofoam' was that you should carry dishes with you! Good thing I kept reading! Nice!

EmmyJMommy 6/20/2009 10:46 AM  

I noticed your bottle on stage during the Diazoso benefit concert....We were blessed by y'all 8 & 6 year old kids now ask for your music!

glennlavender 6/20/2009 12:16 PM  

I was given a styrofoam cup with ice water in it yesterday and as I was walking around with it I thought, I hope no one who might read my blog spots me with this. I have some serious accountability now!! Just for the record I tracked down my bottle right away and used it the rest of the time. Ha ha

Meghan,  7/01/2009 12:16 PM  

Good reusable dishes can be found online http://www.reusablebags.com/store/sigg-snack-boxes-aluminum-maxi-large-p-235.html. My parents live in Nashville, and I know how dismal their recycling options are. I support your desire to be a better steward of this world.

Cherylyn. 8/04/2009 11:52 PM  

you're my hero, Glenn!!! :]

Anonymous,  8/06/2009 6:49 PM  

Hey Glen. Can you teach me how to play bass

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP