Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Making Oaths

If you are reading this then chances are you know me and you know that I am a follower of Jesus. What that means exactly is that Jesus rules my life. Or I'm doing what I can to give control of my life to Him because I believe He knows what direction is best for me. That's a simplified explanation but that's basically what it is. So in an effort to become a better Jesus follower I want to talk about oaths.
I made an oath to God at age 14 when I became a full fledged member of The Salvation Army church. Now after talking to my brother in law - Suburban Outpost - he made it clear to me how important oaths - or covenants - are to God. Maybe I can get him to respond to this with some of the verses he referenced to me. Part of the oath I made was to "abstain from the use of all alcoholic drink" which is why I haven't had a sip of an alcoholic beverage to this day. There are other parts of this oath that I have not been so vigilant about and have not followed. So this brought up the question a couple of days ago as to whether or not we should be making oaths with God? Or should God just be the one who makes an oath? He at least can keep it. I think the oaths we make are often out of our reach. Should we not just "Simply let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No’;"? This way we can avoid the whole problem with breaking oaths! There are oaths we make that make sense to me like wedding vows or a child's dedication or baptism. In fact these are with people and God! Now I really feel like I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess if I'm living a life where my yes is yes and no is no then maybe these oaths are just external ways of having acccountability with others for my decisions. Next time I make an oath, (I say next time because I think that it is likely inevitible) I will be as sure as humanly possible it is something I can uphold without question.
GL

0 comments:

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP