Saturday, December 03, 2005

Sharing Dreams

First of all, welcome to my new blog page again! Thanks to Darcy’s Mama and Kathryn for keeping up some great conversation in the comments. Check out the comments on the last entry to see what I’m talking about.

A while ago my wife Sherri blogged about something we call a do-over. It’s a technique we sometimes use to start a conversation all over again and clear things up. It can be pretty effective in preventing a melt down in communication between spouses. If you have an extra minute check it out.

Well, today I want to tell you about another one of our little “techniques” for keeping a fun marriage. Every once in a while I have some pretty crazy dreams just like pretty much everyone who is reading this. Sometimes they are even wacky enough that I just have to share them.

Sharing dreams is weird business though. I mean, it’s not like it really happened, none of the story is true. In fact, most times I can’t even remember the correct details. Well, I guess it’s true that it happened in my mind but is there really any point in sharing it? On a 10-hour drive, sharing weird dreams can be quite entertaining but we might as well just be making up stories and telling them to each other. For all I know that is what happens!

So anyway, our rule now is we can only share our dream if the spouse is in it. This turns out to be quite fun. The dream telling most often starts off by me explaining the dream as “it happened” then I remember, or am reminded, that Sherri needs to be in the dream too. So I weave her into the story and it always has to end in some “romantic” way. Kind of like this: Sherri is about to fall off the roof of a tall building and land in a giant can of tomato soup that has dragons swimming in it, when suddenly I jump 20 feet off the ground and catch her in mid air then magically teleport us both into a private airplane. While on the airplane Sherri gets a pedicure and a manicure while I’m giving her a massage. Eventually we land on a private tropical resort island where we have a full week to be together alone.

Weird eh?

In the interest of avoiding stagnation in life and in marriage I think this idea works out great! If nothing else we usually get a laugh out of it.

GL

10 comments:

kathryn 12/03/2005 9:49 PM  

what you been smokin' man?!!!!! heh heh. .

Alexis 12/04/2005 11:05 PM  

ok now you just proved it you are weird, really weird.

No need to vote on it I think you just proved it

I hope atlease you follow through on the massage, peticure and manicure at a spa here in this small town we live in.

Ok Sherri I am trying for you I hope you might get that for just being his wife. HEHEHEHEHE

Dale 12/05/2005 9:40 AM  

Glenn, it's not good to eat spicy foods just before going to bed. ;)

All kidding aside, that's an interesting idea. I have some pretty wild dreams that I have no idea how I could ever "weave" my wife into, but we do share dreams with each other on occasion. (I usually get stuck sharing mine when my wife wakes me up after hearing me talking or shouting in my sleep. LOL)

Dale 12/05/2005 9:50 AM  

I just went back and read Sherri's "do-over" blog entry. Awesome! I'm going to share this with my wife because we could certainly use this now and then. Thanks for linking that, Glenn!

Krista 12/08/2005 4:49 PM  

Lay off people! We are a strange breed! Don't spit on our sweet weirdness! ;-)P

I'm with you bro!

kathryn 12/08/2005 10:59 PM  

i'm not spitting on it. . cuz i have the weirdest dreams in the world! I'm just pokin' fun.

Tracy 12/08/2005 11:05 PM  

You must have to make up most of those dreams...I never remember enough to be able to weave a story around one at all!

Dale 12/15/2005 3:12 PM  

Sorry if you took offense, Krista. Like Kat, I too have weird dreams. I was just adding some extra humor to this.

kathryn 12/17/2005 11:24 PM  

i had a bizarre series of dream segments last night. .flying (in what?) over a dirty, blackish river meandering through Hamilton, a dead gorilla floating in the water and chimpanzees jumping around on the riverbanks. I was in high school again. . i was so disgusted cuz the entire student body was at the main gym watching "naked lunch", in which several students decided to shed all their clothing, for what, I'm not sure? They were just standing in a line. . But it was pandemonium. I was not thrilled. . and i walked to the side lawn of the school. . yards away from me a guy dressed in civil war garb was firing his rifle into the grass, close by me. When he saw that I was rather upset by this, he asked "Would you rather i shoot farther from where you're sitting?" Next thing I knew i was back home, there was some sort of conveyer belt, like at the airport, and the streets were blacklit. . everyone had these sparkly reflective outfits. . Sherri was quite upset that she couldn't dance along the conveyer belt and be seen, cuz she didn't have the right kind of outfit for the black light!!! I told her to dance anyway!!! That's all i can remember. . . Sherri was cute. . the gorilla wasn't!!!!! ugh. . nasty bloated old gorilla. . maybe i've seen too many King Kong trailers?!!!!

kathryn 12/18/2005 11:06 PM  

it was rather creepy. . the river was scary looking. I was thankful not to be dropped into it. the gorilla was gross. . the rifle guy. . that was weird. the dancing part was strange but fun!

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP