Saturday, November 15, 2008

Barack Obama - African American?

I was reading a comment on one of Randy Alcorn's posts today. He posted about an interview Obama did about his faith four years ago. It was an interesting interview. I wouldn't say I was surprised at all though. I think Barack would do well to listen to this Mark Driscoll sermon I listened to this morning though. Anyway, I always find the comments to be interesting when anyone posts about politicians, especially Mr. Barack Obama. Randy referred to Barack as African American which caused one commentator some grief.

"Mr Obama is NOT African American. His mother was white and his father was African (kenyan) but his father was only part Black and so therefore, BO is only a quarter black, he is more arab than black. 

Besides there is NO African America and to continue to use this misnomer is in fact wrong and incorrect."
This is when the whole race thing gets silly. We're all half this, quarter that, one sixteenth this, and one sixteenth that, and one eighth the other thing. If I did my math right I think that adds up to a full human being. Do we really need to go back track Obama's lineage to figure out what we can label him? I understand how huge it is that someone who's skin is not white will be in the "White House" but whether he's of African, Arabian, Caribbean, Hawaiian, Kansas-ian or Indonesian decent shouldn't really matter now. He's an American citizen and more than half of America voted to put him in charge. It's obviously a big deal to any minority in America to see this happen. Hopefully we are now a step closer to being able to call a person a person no matter how they look. Or to put it the way Horton did, "A person's a person no matter how small."

GL

8 comments:

Hello 11/15/2008 11:44 PM  

In the spirit of "unity" and "celebrating diversity", we label and separate people as much as we possibly can. Makes sense, right??? Yah, sure.

I am an naturalized citizen of America and I think of myself as American with Peruvian roots. But American. Not Peruvian-American. People would do well to not divide themselves, I think that's part of the problem we deal with here... No sense of something bigger than yourself.

Anonymous,  11/16/2008 8:43 AM  

I also do not think that it matters what color he is. I still disagree with just about every policy he has announced, but I'd feel the same way regardless of his skin color.

What's sad to me is how many people voted for him without knowing where he stood on the issues. It seems the historic nature of his candidacy was more important than where he stood on the issues and it scares me that people would be so eager to support somebody without knowing where they stand on the issues, just because the candidate's election would be historic.

supersimbo 11/16/2008 10:23 AM  

wow aside from the race thing, very interesting interview with Obama.

CrimeSceneFairy 11/16/2008 11:30 AM  

Oh hi thanks for commenting on my blog!
I totally agree with what Anonymous said.
Thus ends my lame comment

Anonymous,  11/16/2008 1:56 PM  

Doesn't his father being from Africa and his mother being from America make him more African American than a person who is born in America of generations-old African descent?

Kiwi da Fruit 11/18/2008 5:09 PM  

I like that point made about "There is no African-America", thusly, 'african-americans' should not be called that.

By the way, Glenn, I've got a question about the Bethlehem Skyline Tour that I asked on the Downhere blog, but I didn't know when you would check that, and I need to know as soon as possible.
I'm planning to attend the December 14th date in Waukesha, Wisconsin, but would like a bit more info on it. About how long will the concert be? I was told about an hour, but with five groups, how does that work?

Thank you, and I can't wait to see you there! I've been hoping to go to a Downhere concert for quite a while.
~Kiwifruit

Anonymous,  11/22/2008 2:08 PM  

I agree with you the color of ones skin or where their grandfather came from has no bearings on anything we are all Americans. Where it does matter is what we hold as truth! To protect life and the family and freedom to serve God as He mandates in the Bible. Which Obama does not hold to be true.

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP