Friday, March 28, 2008

Earth Hour

I just read about this and I think it's a great idea! Especially in light of my last post. Here's the jist.

"On Saturday, March 29 at 8pm millions of people around the world will turn off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour - symbolizing the need to take action on climate change. "

"This Saturday 24 global cities will participate in Earth Hour at 8 p.m. Earth Hour is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take the simple steps needed to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. It is about simple changes that will collectively make a difference – from businesses turning off their lights when their offices are empty, to households turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby." link
To check out the web site here's the link. Below is a video from their site that gives a brief explanation about the whole thing. I know there's at least one of you who is not in total agreement with the whole climate change thing but I think we can all agree that we live a wasteful life in the West and need to be better stewards with what we have. That's the angle I take with all of this stuff. Whether Climate Change is for real or it's just a scare tactic designed to sell more things and make money, we still need to clamp down on our garbage, energy usage and much more.

Will you turn your lights off?

GL


5 comments:

Sue Matthews 3/28/2008 1:39 PM  

I plan on turning my lights off. Sadly it will be a really easy time for me to do it because Nick will be at work, Darcy will be in bed and I'll be feeding Wesley for bed. I think I'll go a bit longer with it so I'm actually doing something more than I would have been doing anyway.

I'm not 100% sure about global warming, I've read some convincing stuff on both sides. However I do agree with you 100% about the stewardship issue. We've become so accustomed to doing things because they're convenient, not because they're smart. I think we can all use a good change in thinking.

kathryn 3/29/2008 9:34 PM  

we turned out all the lights! watched some Corner Gas episodes. It didn't mention anything but lights, right? wonder if there will be a surge in the birth rate 9 months from tonight? lol!

Holly 3/31/2008 1:49 PM  

Well I was in the car on the road that night, so I hope headlights didn't count. :-)

Ditto on Sue's comments about global warming...

Sue Matthews 3/31/2008 2:43 PM  

Ha Kathy! I was wondering the same thing about the birth rate.

Cherylyn. 4/13/2008 1:55 PM  

I was really disappointed that night because i didn't realize it was going on until it was over.
but i think it was a really awesome idea... and a reminder for people to stop being wasteful & to start thinking about taking care of the earth!

:]

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP