Thursday, January 08, 2009

Lessons From Nashville

I've ingested a lot of mental material over the past couple of days while attending a songwriters retreat thanks to our label Centricity Music as well as a marriage retreat thanks to Porters Call. Speakers I heard include Reed Arvin, Dr. Dan Allender and artist Cindy Morgan as well as others. I would like to share more about it but I am just too fried right now to dig into it too deeply so here are a few key quotes/ideas I'd like to share for starters.

Concerning the technological revolution going on in music today:

-Skill has been displaced due to it not being necessary. What is necessary and most valuable today are ideas.
-We have less silence than any other humans before us. What kills ideas is the lack of quiet.
Concerning creating as a Christian:
-Christians tend to be distrustful of the deepest parts of their lives.
-There is confusion in the Christian writer between earnestness & soulfulness.
Concerning productivity:
-Never hurry, never rest.
-My talent is only set by how much focused work/time I am willing to put in.
-"It is wisdom to savor what is good."
Concerning songs:
-The verse is yours the chorus is the audiences.
-Songs should always stand without a set up.
Concerning men and women and God:
-Man struggles with not being enough and woman struggles with being too much.
-Man and woman in relationship together reveal God.
-Your face has been grafted by God. Every face reveals His glory. Do you love your face? Can you say it's beautiful?
-4 areas too dangerous to talk about, sex, money, children and in-laws.
I know I kind of left these quotes naked, without explanation. If there are ones you are more curious about mention it in a comment and I'll post more in depth in the coming week.

GL

6 comments:

mbj 1/09/2009 12:23 PM  

I'd like to hear more about the ideas concerning creating as a Christian---sounds intriguing.

Holly 1/09/2009 9:15 PM  

Great quotes!! Lots to ponder there. I'd like to hear more about creating as a Christian and the productivity ones.

kathryn 1/10/2009 4:35 PM  

i liked these 2:
"we have less silence than any other humans before us. ."
wow this one is really good.


and
"man and woman in relationship together reveal God"

Is this referring to marriage or just how men and woman are as individuals? and how they each have a 'half' in themselves that becomes a 'whole' when they relate to each other?? I suspect maybe both.

Sue Matthews 1/11/2009 8:19 AM  

Hey Glenn,

I've been thinking a lot about the first productivity one over the past couple of days. It's the first one that really has me thinking. "Never hurry, never rest." I think I understand the point of what is trying to be said here, but I disagree with how it's stated. Yes we need to make the best use of our time and I agree that hurrying and rushing is bad as it tends to lead to carelessness and mistakes. However, I strongly disagree with the never rest part. I think the Bible clearly gives us a mandate to set time apart for resting. God did it, Jesus did it, we're told to too. Am I misinterpreting?

Hello 1/11/2009 11:37 PM  

All very interesting. Sounds like a great retreat!

"Skill has been displaced due to it not being necessary. What is necessary and most valuable today are ideas."

Is that what IS necessary and valuable, or what has been DEEMED as such? Is it referring to musicians or the behind-the-scenes aspects of music production?

Anonymous,  1/14/2009 10:32 AM  

"Man struggles with not being enough and woman struggles with being too much"

Ooohh, I can so relate to this. I once heard someone say that the feminist movement had done a disservice to women because by telling us that we can do/be anything, we misunderstood that to think that we had to do/be everything.

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP