Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Leave Every Girl Better Off For Having Known You

As I mentioned in my last post I wanted to write more about the book Hero that I read over the weekend. This is an important book for males of all ages who are in a dating relationship or are looking to be in one. It asks, are you leaving every girl you have a relationship with better off for having known you?

Authors, Fred and Jasen Stoeker are father and son. Fred is known for his best selling Every Man's Battle series of books. A series of books devoted to maintaining your purity. I believe this may be Jasen's first author credit but he sure brings an incredible story and example for us all to see.

Below are some of my favorite quotes from the book.

Fred speaking of his son Jasen:

"He took on the truest mark of manhood early on and never looked back. What mark? His complete willingness to embrace social pain for a higher cause."
This higher cause was his love for the Lord and for his future wife. Because Jasen loved his wife so much before he even knew who she was he was able to give her a rare gift.

From Rose, Jasen's wife:
"but because Jasen had been pure, he could offer me this one place of perfect security in my life where I knew I'd never be compared to another woman. What a gift - one that few women will receive from their husbands."
This quote just seemed so true!
"Without a doubt, the biggest danger of sex outside of marriage is not the risk of an STD or a pregnancy, but the illusion of closeness and intimacy that comes with it."
A good portion of the book is devoted to breaking down some of the most common lies when it comes to sex outside of marriage. Here are a few of those myths that I'm really glad were tackled in this book.
Myth - I was born sexual, and I have to express that, whether single or not. I'm just wired that way and it's unfair for God to ask otherwise.
Myth - I need to date a lot now so I know what I want in a girl and how to win my bride when I meet her.
Myth - Good sex is key to developing good romance, and the more sex you have, the more you'll know whether she's marriage material.
Myth - A physical connection brings out the emotional connection. Setting boundries on the physical inhibits your relationship from growing.
Myth - I'm afraid I won't be a good kisser when it counts, and what about the rest of my skills? If I don't practice beforehand, I'll embarrass myself on my wedding night.
In my last post Jennifer made a comment wondering if this book would be appropriate for her 18 year old. To that all I can say is I wish I had this when I was 13!! YES! YES!! This book is especially great for boys in high school. Tackling this in a youth group would also be a great idea. If the church could turn out men that looked like this we'd be living in a better world!

GL

1 comments:

Zaankali 3/18/2009 3:00 PM  

Thank you for answering my question.
Smiles!

Blog Archive

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP