Thursday, January 19, 2006

Contentedness

Do you often feel like discontent with life? I do. I feel like that way more than I should.

If you know me or have been reading some of my family members blogs you will know that there have been a few changes for us this year. The one that has had the most impact is that my wife Sherri has started working at home looking after our adorable nephew Miles. So she has her hands full with our 19-month-old son Jonah and 13-month-old Miles. Sherri did a five year course in child studies in University so this is right up her alley and she will do great.

For some reason, this change has made me feel much more content with where we are right now in life. I can’t explain it at all. Maybe I feel better now that Sherri has more purpose to her days. Maybe I feel better now that we’ll have a little extra income. Maybe I just feel better because we finally removed the flimsy fold-up door that separates our room from Jonah’s room, with a real door. Or maybe I feel better because we converted the dinette into a playroom. I don’t know. But I guess I can’t ignore some of the scripture I had been memorizing from Matthew 5. Check this out.

3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
5"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are--no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.”

Isn’t that a cool translation! I started working on this a while ago but I guess I got lazy and stopped. Maybe it’s time to get back to it! Repeating powerful words that Jesus spoke over and over in your head is always a good thing.

So all of that to say, if you are feeling discontent with where you are in your life, remember,
“You're blessed when you're content with just who you are--no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.”


GL

5 comments:

kathryn 1/19/2006 9:39 PM  

i love the words: ". . .owners of everything that can't be bought."
i do like that translation. . its so easy to relate to.

discontentment may not always be a bad thing. . sometimes it motivates us into action.

Dale 1/20/2006 11:09 AM  

I've had my moments of discontentment from time to time. I think we all do to some extent. I love the translation of that scripture you shared, Glenn. That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing that. It definitely got me thinking again this morning about my life and what things are more valuable in it.

Krista 1/20/2006 12:05 PM  

Funny, I never would have guessed that you were discontent about anything really?! You carry the burden well, I suppose! I've been there too - far too often.

I like what Kat said - discontentment can motivate us into action. We need to make that trasition though, otherwise it can lead us down some dark, dark roads.

I like that you stopped to think about why you are feeling more content. I like just thinking about that - what a great realization that is! The scripture is perfect - words to surely keep in your heart.

Tracy 1/20/2006 8:38 PM  

If I were to be honest with you, I would have to admit that I have probably never been content with my life. In fact, I've often wondered why I can't just be happy and if I suffer from a touch of depression. Sounds strange, I know, as I don't come across as a particularly unhappy person. But I really am a very simple person who only wants the simplest of things from life. The problem is, the simple things don't come easy to me, but difficulties do. Take it easy now...I KNOW that I have many, MANY things to be so thankful of - I am very aware of that. It's the little things that don't work for me, and that makes them big things (I'm a detail person - I get hung up on details). Confused yet? I think I am. I think I've lost my train of thought! LOL

Discontentment grounds itself deep before it ever causes any motivation within me. One thing that experience and age has taught me though....it will pass, and I will smile again.

Alexis 2/03/2006 12:17 AM  

Well Glenn what a great topic. As you know I suffer from chronic depression and PTS. I never felt much contentment in my life until the last four years.

You know that 4 yrs ago I gave my life to God and that it has not been an easy journey for me and I backslide often. But one thing I can say is that I have more days of contentment than discontentment these days. I believe it is because I have Christ in my life and I know he has the power to heal all.

There are things in my life I still am not happy with but as I mentioned in on of my comments to Krista I belife is about changes. I believe we must always be working towards bettering ourselves.

Glenn I would as the other stated never ever suspected you to be feeling discontented in life but what I am glad to hear is that this has changed for you. I admire you for so many things and love your outlook on life.

These days like Kath said discontentment is my #1 motivator towards trying to make positive changes in my life. It is working thus far and I feel so much better than I did when you first met me 4yrs ago.

Hang in there Glenn & God Bless you and your family my friend.

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP