Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Narnia and Treasure

Two things today, Narnia and a verse I’ve heard a million times.

First off, I finally went to see Narnia the other night with my wife, my sisters and my brother-in-law. I came close to having tears a couple of times because of strong the metaphors were. It was very well done! Georgie Henly who played little Lucy was easily my favourite character in the movie. She was cute and believable. The bickering between the siblings was overdone and got tiring for me. That could have been because the other three siblings weren’t great actors or because the script called for too much of it. But the thing that I liked the least was the big battle scene. I could see it coming a mile away and I just hoped they were going to find a creative way around it. I am bored to death of the big bloody war scenes that we’ve had to watch so much of since Braveheart. When Braveheart came out, that part of the movie was incredible. Maybe it was Lord Of The Rings that overdid it for me. Both sides line up, they run at each other, swords go into stomachs, arrows land in necks, sometimes even a limb or head gets chopped off, blah blah blah, yawn, seen it before, boring. Can Hollywood please find a new trick?

All that said, go watch it. It is great and worth seeing in the theatre.

And another verse from the Message got me today. If you are interested The Message is available in its entirety at www.biblegateway.com. Here's the verse from Matthew 6:

21"It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being."


I have heard this so many times in other translations but this version made it make more sense, or stand out more or something. I think it’s the line “is the place where you will most want to be” that sort of changes it for me. It’s not just that we should “store up riches in heaven,” but if we take our focus off of our belongings and reaching the next status level and change it to things that God loves like selflessness, love, and helping those in need, it will cause us to most want to be in heaven instead of most wanting to be in a big home with lots of gadgets and beautiful property. I’m guilty of that.

A great reminder any time!

GL

5 comments:

Anonymous,  1/31/2006 11:03 PM  

Hey there, I really like your music!

Krista 2/01/2006 11:33 AM  

I knew this blog was coming! I guess we could have taken a couple of minutes to discuss the movie after leaving the theatre - I have a different opinion on a couple of things!

I agree that little Lucy was the best character - sooo cute! She reminded Bob and I of our friends' little girl Kira! But I really liked the casting for the other 3 siblings. Sure there was a bit of over-acting, but I thought they were all great supporting actors. I was surprised by the battle - not knowing the story, I didn't realise that there even was a battle. Though there was no gore, I think I would be hesitant to bring a child under 12 to this movie as some of the scenes may have been disturbing for a little one. I'm bored to death with battle scenes too - but I appreciated that it didn't go on for very long.

Definitely a good movie though. You came close to tears - well, mine spilled over. The CGI animals (the Lion in particular) were just so darn realistic - I can't handle seeing any animal suffer. When I got home I was all over Charlie - I just had to squeeze and kiss a sweet, furry animal!

I'm sorry I laughed out loud at the end when I saw the grown up version of Peter - it was just too funny! It was fun seeing a movie with you guys! We should try to do it more often!

kathryn 2/01/2006 11:50 AM  

haven't seen Narnia yet. . i will at some point, i hope!

as for the 'treasure'. . . the place you will most want to be and end up being. . that's a good way of putting it. . I'm trying to sort this out daily. . its easy to want what the worlds tell us we should want. .

Dale 2/01/2006 11:54 AM  

I too haven't seen the movie yet and really want to. I read the book numerous times as a kid (along with the rest of the series).

I loved that translation of the "treasure" verse as well. Very interesting and appropriate way of looking at it. It's a daily choice to focus on things above and not things below and it can be hard at times.

supersimbo 2/01/2006 2:17 PM  

i also have not seen it, i kinda fell into the hype in work with posters, books, box sets of books, colouring books, activity books..........the list is endless! then i didnt see it which is slightly silly i suppose, i can imagine buying it on dvd though, my bro stevo has the bbc adaptation of it which is pretty cool and likewise the lucy character is great with the others a little poor..................i love the story, the extravagance and excitement of it mirrors so many spiritual matters that it always blows me away. Nice thoughts glenn

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP