Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Christmas ipod & CD's vs downloads

Christmas has passed and I finally own the new toy I’ve been wanting for so long, the ipod. Not just any ipod either, I had to get the biggest one possible, the 60 gig ipod. You see, I have a CD collection of somewhere around 600 CD’s that I will now be able to take with me everywhere I go. And to me, that is exciting!



After going through the whole process of importing my CD’s and finding album artwork then receiving some itunes money (thanks Mom and Dad and Mark!) I started to wonder which method of getting music was the best.

Since the first CD I ever owned (Led Zeppelin II and/or Steve Miller Band) I have loved tearing off the plastic, then delicately removing the CD from the tray and listening to it while pouring over the liner notes and artwork. The smell of the newly printed paper, the perfect-ness of the CD and jewel case, the anticipation about whether or not this album will become a new best friend or not are all great things about buying a new CD. I just love it! New music is always very exciting to me. This is why I own as much as is reasonably possible for my musician’s income.

Then along came the mp3 revolution. I jumped in there right away checking out Napster and finding some great songs. It always seemed like a great way to find new music but I never felt like it was quite right to be able to get all of that music for free. So when itunes came along and made it accessible and legal, I felt like that was what I needed to support. I may not be able to download any song I want for free, but a 30 second clip is usually enough for me to be able to tell if I like it or not. And at 99 cents a song, it sure seems like a deal to me.

So now I have the ability to listen to clips of just about any song I want as well as check out what other people think of that song and what other songs they like. This is great for a guy like me who loves to find new artists. Plus, there is a lot of content available online that can’t be bought in stores. Album artwork and sometimes videos are often included when you buy new albums too.

With all of this in mind I think I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to buying ‘albums’ the CD is still preferred. When it comes to buying singles or checking out new bands or finding content that can’t be found anywhere else then online is the way to go. For instance, I just bought a Jack Johnson album of 22 songs that are all in video format for $10. I think that’s a great deal that I wouldn’t have been able to find in any store!

So I’m not sure what your preference is. Just keep supporting the artists you love by buying their music one way or another. That way there’s a chance you’ll hear more!

GL

7 comments:

kathryn 1/01/2006 11:58 PM  

congrats on the new toy! i'm sure it will be well used.

like Jack Johnson. . . so mellow.
KK's always trying to turn us into Dave Matthews fans. . . Rob's closer to being one - i'm not! I don't dig his stuff. . .though i appreciate his talent and that of his band.

Steve Miller!!! blast from the past. . . fantastic.
Zeppelin -- yeah. . so cool

Music rocks!

KK did a few weeks of retail work to make $$ over Christmas. . she's in a draw at work, to win an ipod. . i hopes she wins!

supersimbo 1/02/2006 3:44 PM  

a 60g iPod!! oooh sweet man, i am slowly getting into downloading but i still love the cd for the reasons you so beautifully described..........its an addiction that i sometimes control! zeppelin 2 is such a great album, the lemon song was the first zep song i heard........kat.dave matthews rocks, u heard his new album yet?

Dale 1/03/2006 12:34 PM  

I'd have to agree with Ally, the new CD fascination you described is right on. I think I'd probably be big into downloads from iTunes, etc like you but unfortunately I still live where I only have dial-up access at home and that just never would work for me. I have broadband at work but just can't spend any time on downloading any content. Congrats on the sweet Christmas present!

kathryn 1/03/2006 4:34 PM  

Ally, my friend, i've heard them all! I can't seem to like him!!!! Got KK "These Crowded Streets" for Christmas. . she had also bought a couple of 2-disc sets. .I think she has every CD. I try, but its just not happening. KK and her ex b/f just saw them in December. . said it was a fantastic concert (but then again they're hardcore fans). KK always says DM is a closet Christian. . she got this picture of DM looking at Jesus. . its a cool picture.

supersimbo 1/04/2006 6:46 PM  

mmmm dunno, hes bit depressed too often, maybe he should cheer up. Hes one of those dudes though whos music kinda feeds of that trait, if he cheered up he might turn into cliff richard!!! for artistic purposes its ok to be a bit angry and down.........i try to tell myself this lie!!!!

kathryn 1/11/2006 7:05 PM  

ha ha, Cliff Richard!!! Dave better stay the way he is!

agree, with you, Linds. . i can't get into that guy's music.

Anonymous,  2/15/2006 5:27 PM  

Glenn, I totally know where you're coming from on this blog. my ipod is one of my favorite things ever! I have both downhere CDs on there, by the way!

And since you're like me and prefer the tangible album and the smell of new plastic and paper, I very extremely strongly suggest Gretel's debut CD, "Unreturnable Dirt". You can find it on CDbaby.com, on myspace at myspace.com/gretelmusic or online at gretelmusic.com. It's amazing original album art and packaging unique to this band, and it surely doesn't hurt that the music is amazing. Check them out!!

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP