Monday, January 29, 2007

Loss of Innocence

Well I’ve definitely had some interesting comments on the last couple of posts. In fact, since watching the CBC special on Goji Juice and reading some of these comments, Sunday turned into a real day of thinking and reflection for me.

You see I’m a very trusting and accepting kind of guy. I try to see the good in everyone, you know, believe that what they say is true. My wife likes to say I’m a dreamer as well as an optimist. I can usually see the merit to any argument, from any point of view. For instance, someone will say, well that’s not true because of so and so and I’ll think, good point. That person is right there. Then someone else will pipe up and say, well yes you may say that’s not true but when you take into account this and that and the other thing it sure looks true. I think, hmmm that’s a good point too. And so the conversation goes, back and forth, my opinion, like the wind, changing with each new point. I can’t help but think as I reflect on this attribute of mine that it sometimes makes me feel a little stupid. I mean shouldn’t I know what my opinion is on something and be able to stick with it? Now I know I’m not stupid but why do I sympathize with whoever’s opinion I last heard so easily? And where can this sort of thinking be to my advantage?

Yes, this line of thinking definitely has me second-guessing my involvement with Freelife. I guess just posting that statement will sort of screw me over for any future business. I told you I wasn’t a good salesman. There really has been an unusual amount of progress in my running since I started drinking the juice, which is why I have any belief level in it. (Saturday I ran a half marathon distance in 1:38. 20 minutes faster than my previous best time!!! Crazy!!!!) But if so many people are against the company and against the juice it doesn’t seem wise to be part of it. I don’t want to be associated with a company that has the perception of deception and dishonesty, even if it is just by a few people.

- Just to prove my point, I am proofreading this before I post it and have just realized that I’ve taken the information from Mr. Anonymous Commenter as truth. He’s not even telling me his name and I believe him. Geez. For all I know he and the CEO of Freelife are childhood enemies and this is just revenge! -

It’s too bad really. I like to think that people are straightforward and honest. The people I share most of my life with are. It doesn’t seem right to expect dishonesty and deceit from people, even if you’ve just met them. I feel like this is yet another loss of innocence in a way. I don’t think I’m a naïve person but I do like to expect the best from people. I guess when you expect the best there is always the risk of being disappointed though. I suppose it’s a lot like loving someone. Anytime we risk love there is always the possibility of that love being lost and us being hurt.

Well I’m going to continue to risk being hurt and disappointed. People receiving unconditional love and trust are well worth the cost.

Glenn

3 comments:

Anonymous,  1/29/2007 5:24 AM  

Hey there, well, Mr. Anonymous does not have a Blogger acct, so its anon.

I don't know the CEO of Freelife. But I know enough to see a snow-job when I see it.

You know, these MLM companies use very sophisticated "techniques" on people they enroll, they have it down to a science.

I have no problem with "juice". Juice is great, I drink tomato, orange, grape, and other juices, there is lots of evidence they are good for you.

But the Goji Hype is beyond all reality and common sense or facts. Juice, Goji or not, does not cure disease, its not a drug, and it has not been tested.
Freelife is engaging in a series of tricky wording to make lots of money off people, marking-up a cheap product from China...to $50 a bottle.

Sorry to be a downer, but its all about the $. Its clear to me.

Hey, the placebo effect is very powerful...but still has limits.

kathryn 1/29/2007 9:25 PM  

Hey, Glenn! Good time on your half marathon!!! XLNT work!!! If it was due to the Goji, then that's pretty fabulous. Nothing wrong with being a dreamer or being trusting, to a degree.

nickt 1/31/2007 12:46 AM  

Seriously, a 1:38 is flying, especially if that's in training. Great work! You won't have any trouble beating 4hrs now. Keep building that mileage. In endurance there is no substitute for hard work.

Blog Archive

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP