Sunday, September 02, 2007

Another Marathon

Well I did it. I booked myself another marathon to run. On October 21st I'll be running the Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Marathon. It's a pretty cool race as it takes place in the USA and Canada. Here's a map of the course. It crosses the Ambassador Bridge then crosses back through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.



Anyway, all that said, I was planning on trying to do a 30 mile run before my next marathon to see how that would affect my race performance. So I mapped out my training schedule that would be necessary for me to reach that goal and it's a little tight. Last week I ran 15 miles and today I ran 18 miles. The crummy thing is that I just checked my schedule and realized it should have been 19. Ooops. Oh well. It was a good 18 with a killer hill at the end. Check out the elevation chart.


Today's run was beautiful. Really the whole day was pretty much perfect for a long run. I ran it here in the middle of Washington state through a small town called Winthrop. The air was cool, the scenery was great and the roads weren't busy. I ran the whole thing with my The North Face, Dogfish hydration backpack. Having enough water and energy sources makes all the difference. There wasn't once when I felt like quitting or felt too tired. I attribute that to replenishing my energy needs well. Here's how I started. Before the run, 1.5 pieces of toast with natural peanut butter and a glass of apple juice. 49 minutes in I started a Clif Shot Raspberry energy gel. I finished that by 1:09:00. Then at 1:39:00 I started my Clif Bar energy bar, Crunchy Peanut Butter flavor. I took two bites nearly every 9 minutes till I was done. I drank at least 2 or 3 sips of water every 9 minutes too. When I got back I drank about a full litre of Gatorade rather quickly. I then had the privilege of having a 1 hour massage courtesy of our record label. After that, it was nap time. It doesn't get much better than that on a long run day. Here are the run stats!


Distance - 18 miles
Time - 2:39:35
Average Pace - 8:52
Approx Calories - 3811 (I never believe this number)

4 comments:

The Secret Life of Kat 9/02/2007 10:44 AM  

Hi! My name is Kat and I found your blog through Jeremy's.

I'm running my first half marathon in January and I'm really excited about it.

How do you monitor your distance. Do you measure it ahead of time or do you use a device of some sort to measure it?

Also, is it very awkward to run with the hydration pack?

That marathon looks cool. I hope to run a full marathon, next year perhaps.

Hello 9/03/2007 3:59 AM  

Hi. I also found your blog from Jeremy's. I am not a runner, but I'm impressed at how much thought and planning goes into running. We non-runners just think of it as putting one foot in front of the other very quickly.

As an aside, I am from Washington and I love the scenery there... I miss it now that I'm in California.

Anonymous,  9/07/2007 9:43 PM  

Hey Glenn,

Do you need somewhere to stay, or a ride to the race?

nickt 9/07/2007 10:08 PM  

I think I know someone who can get you across the border without incident ;)

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP