Friday, March 03, 2006

A Blessed Life

I'm sitting at wife's computer typing this blog entry. Over the past 24 hours I've yet again gained a new appreciation for my wife.

For those of you who don't know me, my job as a "musician" causes me to be away from home often for long periods of time. It was a hard adjustment when I started but Sherri and I have really got into a good groove now where it is a manageable way of life. Having a son was another readjustment but we are handling it well I think and our marriage is quite healthy and still a lot of fun.

I say all of that because after two nights of me being home Sherri went out last night for most of the evening leaving me on my own. Not a big deal, I have lots to do, but as the night wore on and I started getting ready for bed I couldn't help but think, "How does she do this every night I'm away? At least I know she'll be home by the time I get in bed." I was starting to feel lonely and bored and I kept looking at the clock hoping more time had gone by. When Sherri got home and I asked her about all of this she said that when I'm gone she just sort of switches gears and somehow it's not too bad. Knowing that many people keep us in their prayers must have something to do with why it's easier to handle too.

So I had to ask again (I frequently do), "We're doing the right thing, right?" I don't think this is a question I really need to ask her but it's like hearing "I Love You", I just need her to tell me once in a while for reassurance. I'm sure when she feels differently I'll know! Sure enough she told me of course we are doing the right thing and not to worry!

Man, do I love this woman or what!!

Then . . .

My computer has had an issue for the past few days with not being able to plug into power anymore. Sucks! So I've been using Sherri's PC during the day as I am right now and I don't know how she has the patience to tolerate this archaic piece of non-Apple machinery! It drives me nuts!!! She uses this thing without hardly complaining. If I ask her, she can't wait to get a new computer, but hardly is there ever a complaint.

I am truly blessed to live the life I have and to have such a great woman in my life!

Glenn

4 comments:

Krista 3/03/2006 3:54 PM  

She's a gem! :)

Your love for each other is very apparent! Jonah's a lucky boy to have such loving parents! You've taken Major Sturge's dedication words of advice to heart, and it shows!

Sherri Lavender 3/05/2006 12:12 PM  

Thanks babe! I have to put out a thanks to all those people out there who pray for me though - surely that makes a significant difference.

Alexis 3/05/2006 12:43 PM  

You both are so Blessed to have each other. You have had great examples of true love to follow and I see that every where in your household.

You music career is just starting to take off to another level and it must be difficult at times to be away and on the road, but you have a great wife, great son and you both have fabulous families who are there to help out and to help make those adjustments easier.

Not everyone is so Blessed.

I can't help but want to share this from

1 Corinthians 13
Love

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.
11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I see faith in the two of you, I see the hope you have but most of all I see the love you have for each other so both are the riches people on this earth cause you got it all.

Dale 3/06/2006 2:45 PM  

As someone who has also been in a Christian band and was away from my wife whenever we played (although rarely for very long and only overnight a few times) I can attest to the beauty and treasure that exists in a supportive wife. My wife was behind us 100%, and although there were times it was hard to be alone when I was gone, she rarely said anything and always prayed for us and supported us as we went out to reach people with the gospel. She is a true gift from God.

My bandmate, on the other hand, had far less support from his wife and we were hindered numerous times by her demands that we accommodate her personal schedule and her telling us when we could and couldn't schedule concerts. Although she was not the only reason things came to an end (we had other band member issues as well that eventually came to head unfortunately), our band never reached its full potential to impact people for Christ due in part to her being so inflexible and unsupportive.

Praise God for you Sherri! You are a treasure to Glenn and the whole Downhere family! People are being reached for Christ because of your loving support, your willingness to let him go and the sacrifices you make because of it, and your prayers for him and his bandmates!

By the way, I am one of the many who prays for Downhere and all of their team (family) as well. God bless you!

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP