Friday, March 03, 2006

In response to Ceremonial Dagger

I had some great comments on my last post and wanted to respond with some info and thoughts here.

Are you really not allowed to pray in school anymore? I can understand not forcing everyone to say the Lord's Prayer in our "multicultural" society but I thought they still at least had a moment of silence where people can say their various prayers to their various Gods. I don't like it but I understand we don't live in a Christian nation.

And about celebrating Christian holidays in school, they may not say Merry Christmas now but at least we still get the Christian holidays. Who knows how long till that changes!

As for what we can do, I called my local MP's office to find out. We can write a letter explaining our opinion and mail it to:

Vic Toews
Minister of Justice
House Of Commons
Ottawa, ON
K1A0A6

Or you can just contact your local MP's office. To find your local MP go here. You can request that they send a letter too. So there are things we can do if we really want to, no matter how small our voice may be. It is the voice that our Grandparents and Great Grandparents fought for! Let's use it.

Glenn

2 comments:

kathryn 3/04/2006 1:16 AM  

i remember not only prayers in 'opening exercises' at school, but also Bible readings every morning. The prayers would be over the P.A. system - the principal prayed and each teacher would do their own Bible reading in class. I remember my Jewish classmates and Jehovah's Witness ones too would sit out in the hall while we did our prayers and Bible readings!

That was only in the early 60s. . not that long ago. . lots of change, eh?

Alexis 3/05/2006 12:58 PM  

Where is it all leading. I think that children today are not shown enough good examples like our times.

I was forced to go to Sunday school until I was old enough to make the choice for myself. Until my early teens I continued, for reasons I rather not discuss here I walked away from the Lord. Thank the Lord I found my way back.

My sister has never taken her 2 boys to church other than for weddings and funerals. This year her oldest son enters highschool. He has made the choose he would like a Catholic highschool simply because less kids, better sports and most of his friends will be going there.

In Catholic schools religion is part of there curriculum, atleast he will now be given a base in order to make his own decisions of wether to follow christ or not.

Thanks Glenn for taking the time to find out how we can make a difference. Maybe if we all take the time to contact our Mp's or to write letters maybe we will have an impact on a good change.

In regards to "Are you really not allowed to pray in school anymore" I only know about my friends granddaughter who is faced with asking her teacher for time to go and pray and read her bible as those who have a special prayer room to go and pray at the specified times according to there religion.

I really do not know if they have prayer in school anymore. Do all schools play the national anthem each morning and allow for a momemt of silence for prayer. Good question to ask our school boards.

We may we still get the Christian holidays, until the time where all religions want us to give time off for there holidays and then we would be off more than in school. Children today already get enough time off with teachers PD days and holidays.

I think I willpray about writting a letter but more than likely I will be sending one off before the end of the week.

Thanks Glenn for opening our eyes to this issue

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP