Sunday, March 19, 2006

Books

I just finished a book by Benjamin Levy about learning how to remember names and how important that is. In any job this is important. I meet so many people every night I'm on the road and I've just been terrible at remembering their names. Well, it turns out I'm not actually "bad with names," I just don't have any strategy for remembering them. He likened it to someone who has never had a snow skiing lesson in there life say I'm a bad skier. Well if you haven't learned how to ski of course you are. Anyway, great book. I was able to memorize thirty random words in a specific order with about ten mintues of work after reading the book. THAT IS CRAZY! So yeah, if you think you have a bad memory, check it out!

I'm also re-reading a C.S. Lewis classic, Mere Christianity. I'd like to leave you with a piece of what I read tonight.

"I'm trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic - on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg - or else he would be the Dveil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

1 comments:

kathryn 3/20/2006 6:32 PM  

i loved that book (Mere Christianity). Yes, some people do think Jesus is great but at arm's length. I've lived a portion of my life with him at arm's length, or even with my back turned to him, but i much prefer living now beside him and in this real relationship where i learn to listen to him, and where i talk to him and he helps me to get over myself and he makes me a better person and gives me hope.

memory building is always a good thing! I find that the nature of my job keeps my brain working pretty hard. . but regardles, there's always room for improvement. With names, i find that once i learn the name it helps me if i keep talking to the person and keep using their name as i talk to them, helps me reinforce the name with the face. or i play games in my mind or rhymes or remember a physical attribute of theirs that helps me remember their name.

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP