Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Apple Crisp Recipe

On the weekend Sherri and I decided we would do a family outing to a nearby apple farm. We went to Myers Apple Farm in Copetown Ontario. It was a beautiful morning and we arrived early enough that we didn't have to deal with it being too busy.

I'm always looking for MacIntosh apples so when we got there I asked but they were past their season. So we went out and started looking at the other apple trees. I eventually found the Mac rows and decided it would be worth while to scavenge them. Sure enough we were able to get more than we needed from what was left over in the trees.

We've already had apple pie once and last night I decided it was time for an apple crisp. I also decided to improvise a recipe since I wanted to make the apple crisp with Red River Cereal in it. (I think this cereal can only be found in Canada. Sorry.) So here's my made up recipe. I think it was quite fantastic if I do say so myself! Crispy, a little cake-y and also apple-y. Yummy!

Red River Apple Crisp

Topping
1/2 cup Red River Cereal
3/4 cup boiling water

1 cup Oats
1&1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon

Apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp all spice

4-8 apples cut into thin slices (enough to almost fill 2 litre corning ware dish)

Directions
Add boiling water to Red River Cereal and soak for 20-30 minutes. Drain off excess water. Add oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda butter and cinnamon. Stir together well. Should look like a sort of paste.

Pre heat oven to 350

Slice apples and place in bowl. Add brown sugar flour and all spice. Mix thoroughly. Place apple mixture into 2 litre corning ware dish or something equivalent. Spread topping onto apples covering all of them. Add a little cinnamon and wheat germ on the top to garnish.

Place in oven for 1 hour. Enjoy!!

5 comments:

kathryn 10/17/2007 11:50 PM  

mmmm. . apple crisp is awesome! thanx for providing a recipe. . the Red River is so nutritious. . maybe i'll give your recipe a test, see how i do with it?! thanx!

Anonymous,  10/18/2007 12:23 PM  

We love apple picking! We've been a record 7 times this year, for various types of apples (Steve's becoming an apple connoisseur!)

We go to Orchard Home, in St. George. (They still had trees full of Mac's last Saturday!)

And yet, I've never made a "real" apple pie! I make an 'instant' one. Made apple crisp once or twice last year.

glennlavender 10/18/2007 12:41 PM  

Instant apple pie!?!?!? Lynn, I'm disappointed. ha ha We'll have to check out Orchard Home. Sounds like a good place. I've decided I'm planting two apple trees in Mom and Dad's yard early next spring. Eventually we'll have our own harvest!!

Holly 11/30/2008 10:43 PM  

Glenn,
My parents' apple tree just started producing fruit this year for the first time in 20+ years! I didn't even know it WAS a fruit-producing apple tree, as crazy as that sounds! Hope your parents' trees are a little faster to get going! :-)

Unknown 8/03/2010 7:44 AM  

Never found a recipe for apple crisp that I really loved cuz I loved loads of topping. I think you've done it! The bottom crust might just be the answer. Can't wait to give it a try. I'm thinking my work buddies are getting another treat this week.

Blog Archive

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP