Monday, October 22, 2007

Detroit Marathon Photos and Live Audio Commentary

Thanks to everyone for all of your kind words. And special thanks to my cousin Sue and her husband Nick and family for hosting me for the Detroit Marathon.

If you saw my last post which my lovely wife put up for me you would have seen my time. I am really happy with how I did. I didn't really go into this race with high hopes. I hoped I would finish it somewhere around my last time and if I could beat it, it would be a bonus.

Anyway, as promised, below are some pictures that I took WHILE running. I also had an audio voice recorder with me during the run. So if you want to get a feel of a marathon without actually running one you can listen through my experience (condensed down to 30 minutes) and get the idea. Feel free to skip through if you want. I did my best to try and convey some of the interesting things I saw, how I was feeling and stuff about a marathon you wouldn't know if you've never run one or been to one. Like trying to stop yourself from crying when sitting down just beyond the finish line about to talk to your wife on the phone. Some of the pictures below correspond to the commentary so you can flip back to here to see the pics I'm talking about if you want. It was a pretty cool race! We started in Detroit and ran over the Ambassador Bridge into Canada then through the Detroit Windsor Tunnel back into Detroit. Supposedly the only underwater mile that's part of a race in the world. We eventually ran onto an island where the Detroit Indy races take place. We also ran past Tiger Stadium and Joe Louis Arena home of the Detroit Tigers and the Detroit Red Wings respectively. There was lots to see.

I hope you enjoy it. I had a great time!!



















7 comments:

nickt 10/22/2007 10:57 PM  

That's amazing! Love the audio, very cool. I can't believe how good you sound the whole way through. Even in the late stages you sound so positive.

Great job!

Anonymous,  10/23/2007 8:38 AM  

Awesome website. Congrats! www.runningroomsucks.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  10/23/2007 12:58 PM  

That looks so cool, running through the tunnel. Wonder what traffic was like in the area with the tunnel closed?! Was the bridge closed too?

GO WINGS!! (I've never actually been to Joe Louis though!)

kathryn 10/23/2007 6:28 PM  

wow, no wonder runners like marathons. . all the cheering, affirmation! that's great! you definitely pass the 'talk test' very well, Glenn! you know that saying that if you can still talk while working, then you're good.

great pics. . its nice to hear the audio commentary, i had a quick listen and it was really fun to hear your thoughts and observations! yay for you!!!

Anonymous,  10/25/2007 9:19 PM  

Found your blog Google. Ran the half this weekend while I was back in Detroit visiting my dad. Great day to run! Thanks for the good pictures and audio tour...it brought back a lot of good memories from Sunday...especially exiting the tunnel and hearing my sister-in-law screaming my name in the crowd outside the tunnel! (note to self...take a small camera next time)

Pat (bib 12221)
Little Rock, AR

Anonymous,  10/29/2007 1:20 PM  

Great photos. I ran the Detroit Marathon also and tried to explain to others all of the amazing sites along the way. Your photos show all of the things I failed to convey. Bummer with the Ambassador Bridge/sunrise photo. You can't really see the thousands of running silhouettes across the bridge. Or maybe you were ahead of the crowd. :)

Anonymous,  10/20/2008 12:26 AM  

Don't know if you remember me or not, but I met you after the end of last year's marathon (2007). I was wearing the same shirt as you. I think you offered to let me use your cellphone to call my parents. I just ran the half this year, that's why I was looking for pics of it. I recognized you on the Google image search right away! Anyways, that's my story. :P

Blog Archive

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP