Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Canada's Political Crisis and How The Leafs Just Won the Stanley Cup

For those of you outside of Canada you may not realize we have a bit of a political crisis going on right now. I've heard bits and pieces about it over the past few days so I figured I needed to read up on it and try to understand what's happening. The man on the right is our current Prime Minister, Stephen Harper and the men on the left are the leaders of the three opposition parties. There are some great articles on CBC that explain the current situation. Follow this link and check out some of the headlines in the right sidebar to learn more. If I try to explain things I'll get it wrong or someone will interpret my words as leaning one way or the other and I'll attract all the political commentators which just gets annoying.

The one headline that caught my attention the most that had to do with this political crisis was this though - Toronto Maple Leafs Win Stanley Cup. Blogger "Canadian Jedi" put this crisis into familiar hockey terms for us all to understand. He's obviously not a fan of the coalition and leans Conservative but nevertheless a funny way to describe the situation.

Canada was stunned Monday when it was announced that The Stanley Cup will be awarded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, possibly as early as December 6th.
The cup will be stripped from from 2008 playoff champions the Detroit Red Wings and be awarded to the Leafs, who didn't even make the playoffs.
How is this possible, Canadians ask?
Well, the Leafs have formed a coalition with eastern conference semifinalists the Montreal Canadians, and conference quarter finalists the Ottawa Senators, now outnumbering the Red Wings.
According to current Leaf coach Ron Wilson "the Red Wings have lost the confidence of the league and should hand the cup over immediately to our coalition".
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is cutting short a European trip to try to resolve the unprecedented hockey crisis that could force a second playoff series, or see an opposing team coalition take the cup. -link

9 comments:

Sue Matthews 12/03/2008 12:27 PM  

I've been pretty confused and frustrated by this whole political mess but I've got to tell you that made me laugh harder than I've laughed in a while. Hilarious stuff! That's the only way the Leafs could get a cup from Detroit!!!

Anonymous,  12/03/2008 12:38 PM  

Must be in the genes. I'm pretty confused about the political situation too. Haven't taken much time to read up on it though.

My thought is it's Dion's excuse as a sore loser of the election (less then 2 months ago!) and looking for any excuse to 'win'. Somehow got the other parties on board. Maybe we have too many political parties?? Then again, I don't have all the facts.

As for the hockey comparison, I enjoyed that too! Even though I am a Red Wing fan!

kathryn 12/04/2008 12:42 AM  

LOL!!! Leafs. . pffft!!!

the crisis.. . i just wanna know, why this strange coalition has sprung up, well i know why, but twice the Canadian public has voted Harper in. WE had confidence twice to do so. We have spoken with our votes. We did not ask for this bunch of political malcontents to band together and overturn our vote. this makes me mad. Its so hard to trust ANY politician or political party. . this kind of stuff just makes it even harder. The last thing we need is the world casting a 'no confidence' vote in our nation's ability to get down to the business of running the country. We do not need world markets getting even more twitchy as far as we are concerned. Instability on the hill makes for instability in international investor confidence.

genna 12/04/2008 10:45 PM  

You said in one of your twitter blogs that you play Euchre, how good are you?

glennlavender 12/06/2008 12:36 AM  

l would like to think I'm a fine Euchre player but the cards seem to fall where they like.

Anonymous,  12/06/2008 10:39 PM  

Very true, we all get some stinker hands sometimes. Please forgive me if I sounded rude in the last post. Reread it and worried that I did. So sorry.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous,  12/08/2008 7:38 PM  

Wow! And I think our Electoral College is a bit messed up.

Kiwi da Fruit 12/09/2008 9:50 PM  

Ha ha, Euchre. My dad, uncles, aunt, and grandpa used to play euchre ever Christmas when we were all together! It was fun to watch them. They'd play for long after Mom had taken us home at night.
~Kiwifruit

Anonymous,  12/10/2008 12:33 AM  

Yeah, Euchre is fun. I learned from aunt and cousins when I was in jr. high. Went to Bible College and learned to cheat (lol). Well I should say learned to play smart. I never understood how people cheated, unless they stacked the cards.

Blog Archive

Followers

Stat Counter

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP